Saturday, January 26, 2008

The one with.....Reading..Again

Im back in KL for good. Yeah...finally. People asked me, am i happy with my decision, im gonna say yes because i feel so free. Like i finally have my life back. Like i dont have to worry about so many things but how to survive. After a week at home, i picked up novel that i oughta finished 7 months ago. I tried to read it at first but words seems to escape from my sight, meaningless and shouting for my consentration and focus. Funny how this thing happened.


Years ago, reading was a great passion. And books...books is my shopping list itself. Mum used to nag me for refusing to lunch or dinner and even breakfast because i was to absorb with these kraziness. My wonderful world of reading getting out of hand when i was in my university years, no nagging, no pestering bro or sis. Free world!! Assignments were always done on the dot so that i can read books i bought the day before. Gosh...and imagine this, i was staying with 5 more avid readers and there were we, reading and not even a word came out from our lips. The only sounds existed were the flipping pages and the slamming of the toilet door. I remember my best Widya, she has a weird practise, she often read some of the dialogue from the romantic novel out loud. Whoa....that was creepy!..Hehehehe.. My God, she was really into the characters.

That was then, now, my flatmate Sha, she is a reader too. At times, i can be jealous of her because she has the luxury of time to actually read everything whilst I, busy doing laundry and preparing my luggage for the next outstation trip. People often suggest me reading while in the bus or flight but forgodsake, i have a lot of sleep to catch up than reading. A fren of mine used to lend me his book..just in case i feel like reading but nope....never did dude!

Reading is in my blood i guess, no matter how busy i was and no matter how many books i bought thinking that i'll read them one day, i still want to read. Well, since novel is too undigestable at one time, i started to buy magazines. Goodness, i was addicted to some in fact. I can read those short, short articles at one go without feeling guilty of putting the whole thing down and continue reading tomorrow or whenever i can. You see, why reading is such a great passion to me is because of several reasons:

1) Reading is where i pick up my vocabulary. I remember reading my first Mills n Boons when i was 11 years and i did it secretly. Come on, people wud say, wasnt MB is a bit heavy for an 11yrs? Well, it was, if you are to point out the sexy scene in some of the chapters but hey..i will learn about it eventually. Only that, i might start earlier than any other gals. From MB i learned words like 'humanitarian" or even "french kiss" which i thought at first as French couple kissing. But heyyy.....that was some kind of meaningful information.

2) Reading brought me places i never been before. Reading Patricia Cornwell's for example brought me to Virginia. I learned about the morgue or even some local cemetary. Creepy huh? But it was truly an adventure. The details were so real that i feel i was in the plot myself. As if i was walking the ground these serial killers walked and I can almost smell the blood. Perghhh!!

3) Reading creates who I am today. Through reading i see things differently and i look at some issues from different angles by being on these people's shoes. My understanding of characters i read help me to value other people opinion upon something. I never dismissed a good suggestion simply because i hate the source. Nope, reading is character building itself. It built mine for sure.

Well, i guess, ive written enough, i probably should go back to my book. Anyway, its weekend and nobody works during the weekend. Its reading time and ive lotsa catching up to do.

No comments: